Reviews in a line or two: Here Comes the Boom, Teeth and St. Trinians

Here Comes the Boom follows a high school teacher (Kevin James) who gets into MMA fighting in order to raise money to save the school’s music department (headed up by Winkler’s character). (Image: Ace Showbiz)

Here Comes the Boom (2012)
dir. Frank Coraci; written by Kevin James, Rock Reuben and Allan Loeb

starring Kevin James, Salma Hayek, Henry Winkler and Bas Rutten
Before you rag on me for watching a Happy Madison film, let it be known that Henry Winkler is 99% of the reason I decided to see this film. (The other 1% is accounted for by the fact that I needed to see a film in theaters and review it for one of my journalism classes.) I ended up pleasantly surprised. Though predictable, it makes for a pleasant watch. The score: 3.5/5

IMDb describes the plot as follows: “Still a stranger to her own body, a high school student discovers she has a physical advantage when she becomes the object of male violence. “(Image: Matt Find)

Teeth (2007)
dir./written by Mitchell Lichtenstein
starring Jess Weixler, John Hensley and Josh Pais
This might be one of the strangest films I’ve ever watched. It’s a horror-comedy that works rather than coming off as a try-hard effort, and the premise is so ridiculous that you can’t help but get at least a few laughs from it. The Corny Cliff Scale score: 4/5

St. Trinian’s follows the students of an all-girls school that is threatened with closing. Girls Aloud make an appearance as members of the school band. (Image: All Movie Photo)

St. Trinian’s (2007)
dir. Oliver Parker and Barnaby Thompson; written by Piers Ashworth and Nick Moorcroft

starring Talulah Riley, Rupert Everett, Gemma Arteron, Juno Temple, etc.
I’ll be completely honest: I checked this film out from the library because I’ve had the Girls Aloud track from it on my iPod for a good long while and it made me curious about the film. (Plus, I hoped it’d be some cheesy goodness. Plus, Colin Firth.) Unfortunately, it wasn’t great – not as funny or exciting as it could have been. The score: 1/5

About these ads

2 thoughts on “Reviews in a line or two: Here Comes the Boom, Teeth and St. Trinians

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s