you're reading...
Announcements

“What should TMP watch for the holidays?” and other burning questions

Today on TMP, we take a break from our regularly schedule programming for me to ask you a question… again. (And I lied in the title. There is only one question!)

Last month, TMP celebrated Halloween with Horror Half-Week. I really enjoyed writing that series and I’d like to do something similar featuring films set in winter/set during the holidays on Fridays in December. I’m looking specifically for films from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. (The 1960s have already been snatched up by a “Favorite Things About…” post.)

Leave your recommendations below, and let me know where I can find the film if possible. (I have access to Amazon instant video, Netflix, archive.org/YouTube of course, a library with a pretty awesome DVD collection and TCM.)

As always, thanks for your input!

-Lindsey

About Lindsey

Lindsey loves film, photography, camping, Cary Grant and dogs.

Discussion

9 thoughts on ““What should TMP watch for the holidays?” and other burning questions

1. One of my favorite lesser-known Christmas-themed films would have to be ‘The Man Who Came to Dinner’, a very funny and fast-paced comedy starring Bette Davis, in somewhat of a change-of-pace role. The film also introduced me to Ann Sheridan, now one of my favorite classic actresses. The romance between Davis and Richard Travis is very sweet and has a warm holiday feel to it, and makes the film perfect for a viewing on a snowy Christmas Eve. I know it’s out on DVD, so Netflix should have it to rent or stream.

Another one that has Christmas as a backdrop is ‘We’re No Angels’, a 1955 comedy starring Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, and Aldo Ray, and directed by Michael Curtiz. I haven’t seen it in ages, but I remember it being quite fun. Available on Amazon Instant.

Can’t wait to see which Christmas films you choose to watch!

Posted by Todd Benefiel | November 16, 2012, 10:19 pm
  2. “A Christmas in Connecticut” and “Remember the Night”.

Please – not “White Christmas.”

Posted by silverscreenings | November 17, 2012, 10:00 am
    • I’ll definitely be tracking those two down. If I can’t get them in time for the holiday film series I’ll still be watching them for my Stanwyck filmography project. :) Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by Lindsey | November 17, 2012, 10:38 am
  3. Holiday with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. Love this movie! http://viooz.eu/movies/9710-holiday-1938.html

Posted by Rose | December 10, 2012, 2:12 am
    • I’ve seen this many times but I may do a “Favorite things about…” post about it. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted by Lindsey | December 10, 2012, 1:07 pm
      • Why am I not surprised? BTW the link is no longer working. Sorry about that! This has nothing to do with the holidays (as far as I can remember) but have you seen The Barbarian with Myrna Loy? I was so disappointed that I missed it on TCM some months back.

Posted by Rose | December 10, 2012, 10:08 pm
        • That’s alright, I think my library has a copy. I’ll be heading up there tomorrow to return a few DVDs, so I’ll check if they’ve got it in. :) I also missed The Barbarian last time it was on TCM, but I plan on working on Myrna’s filmography once I get done with (or hit an availability wall with) Stanwyck, so it’s on my “to watch” list!

Posted by Lindsey | December 11, 2012, 12:21 am
  4. Lindsey: the link is working now! Odd!!!!

Posted by Rose | December 11, 2012, 8:00 pm

Enter your email to follow TMP and get brand spankin' new, Cary Grant approved classic film content sent directly to your inbox!
(*Cary Grant does not actually endorse this blog, but I'd like to think he does.)

Join 3,103 other followers

TMP Archives:

Top film of the week: CRONACA DI UN AMORE (1950)

Top Film of the Week

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,103 other followers