The Monster (1925)

“A human monster watched with cat-like eyes for a victim.” It’s a dark and spooky night on a heavily wooded road, and the “human monster” (George Austin) hides himself in a black cloak, waiting for a car to pass. Finally, a local farmer named Bowman makes his way down the road, before crashing and rolling his car into the woods. The cloaked man’s scheme has worked, … Continue reading The Monster (1925)

Housebound (2014)

Kylie (Morgana O’Reilly) is a troublemaker and thrill-seeker. Her latest stunt is to steal the safe from an ATM. When she gets caught, the judge sentences her to house arrest at her mother’s house, where she grew up. Kylie doesn’t get along with her mother (Rima Te Wiata) or her step-father (Cameron Rhodes), and staying in the house with them is torturous to her. She’s … Continue reading Housebound (2014)

Classics of the Corn: House (1986)

“This house knows everything about you. Leave while you can!” Roger Cobb (William Katt) has experienced plenty of horrors in his life. He’s a Vietnam War veteran whose son has disappeared and whose favorite aunt has recently committed suicide. Despite these troubles, Roger has chosen quite the morbid career: writing horror novels. It’s been a year since his last book was published, and his editor … Continue reading Classics of the Corn: House (1986)

HORROR HALF-WEEK, Day 2: The Cat and the Canary (1927)

Annabelle West (Laura La Plante) is eager to learn the contents of her uncle Cyrus West’s will. When he died, he left instructions that his will could not be read for twenty years. The time has finally come for his greedy nieces and nephews — Annabelle, Charlie Wilder (Forrest Stanley) and Paul Jones (Creighton Hale) — to find out what they’ve inherited from the very … Continue reading HORROR HALF-WEEK, Day 2: The Cat and the Canary (1927)

Classics of the Corn: Ghoulies (1985)

Congratulations, Johnathan (Peter Liapis)! You’ve just inherited a creepy, old mansion full of satanic relics, mice and cobwebs. What’s that? You’ve decided to move in and bring your girlfriend Rebecca (Lisa Pelikan) along? Wonderful! The creatures in the basement are highly anticipating your return. What’s that you say, now? You’ve never been to this mansion before? Well, of course you have, Johnathan… you were almost … Continue reading Classics of the Corn: Ghoulies (1985)

Reviews in a line or two: Here Comes the Boom, Teeth and St. Trinians

Here Comes the Boom (2012) dir. Frank Coraci; written by Kevin James, Rock Reuben and Allan Loeb starring Kevin James, Salma Hayek, Henry Winkler and Bas Rutten Before you rag on me for watching a Happy Madison film, let it be known that Henry Winkler is 99% of the reason I decided to see this film. (The other 1% is accounted for by the fact … Continue reading Reviews in a line or two: Here Comes the Boom, Teeth and St. Trinians

Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967)

Country singers Woody Wetherby (Ferlin Husky) and Boots Malone (Joi Lansing) are headed to Nashville with their manager, Jeepers (Don Bowman), to perform at the Nashville Jamboree. During their travels, they have car trouble and end up in a nearly deserted town where they end up staying at an old house with a reputation for being haunted. Little do they know, the home isn’t haunted … Continue reading Hillbillys in a Haunted House (1967)

The Gamma People (1956)

Two reporters – one American, one British – are traveling to cover an event when their train car detaches from the rest of the train and they end up far off course. They end up in a fictionalized Eastern European state called Gudavia where things aren’t quite pleasant, especially for unexpected visitors. The men are desperate to get out of dodge, but they soon discover … Continue reading The Gamma People (1956)