Happy Oscar nominations day! I’m a total fiend for award season, so today I’ve decided to kick off a special four-part series of Oscar lists. A list of my favorite Best Actor winners will appear tomorrow, and there will be two more lists in February around the day of this year’s show.
The following is a chronological list of my 10 favorite Best Actress in a Leading Role winners.
1. Norma Shearer – The Divorcee (3rd winner)
Other nominations: Their Own Desire, A Free Soul, The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Romeo and Juliet, Marie Antoinette
2. Claudette Colbert – It Happened One Night (7th winner)
Other nominations: Private Worlds, Since You Went Away
3. Bette Davis – Jezebel (11th winner)
Other nominations: Of Human Bondage, Dangerous (Won), Dark Victory, The Letter, The Little Foxes, Now, Voyager, Mr. Skeffington, All About Eve, The Star, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
4. Ginger Rogers – Kitty Foyle (13th winner)
Other nominations: N/A
5. Ingrid Bergman – Gaslight (17th winner)
Other nominations: For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Bells of St. Mary’s, Anastasia (Won), Murder on the Orient Express (Won, supporting role), Autumn Sonata
6. Jane Wyman – Johnny Belinda (21st winner)
Other nominations: The Yearling, The Blue Veil, Magnificent Obsession
7. Olivia de Havilland – The Heiress (22nd winner)
Other nominations: Gone with the Wind (supporting role), Hold Back the Dawn, To Each His Own (Won), The Snake Pit
8. Vivien Leigh – A Streetcar Named Desire (24th winner)
Other nominations: Gone with the Wind (Won)
9. Katherine Hepburn – Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (40th winner)
Other nominations: Morning Glory (Won), Alice Adams, The Philadelphia Story, Woman of the Year, The African Queen, Summertime, The Rainmaker, Suddenly, Last Summer, Long Day’s Journey Into Night, The Lion in Winter (Won – Tied with Barbra Streisand for Funny Girl), On Golden Pond (Won)
10. Sissy Spacek – Coal Miner’s Daughter (53rd winner)
Other nominations: Carrie, Missing, The River, Crimes of the Heart, In the Bedroom