It’s that time of year again: Summer Under the Stars, TCM’s annual star-a-day celebration of classic Hollywood, is upon us! As I’ve done for the past three years, I’ll be sharing recommendations for every day of SUTS.
The usual Tuesday “TMP Recommends” series will be on hold for the month of August, replaced by these SUTS posts. Keep an eye out for more recommendations on August 6 (for the 7th – 17th), August 17 (for the 18th – 25th) and August 25 (for the 26th – 31st).
Today we begin with recommendations for days 1 – 6! Happy viewing!
DAY 1: GENE TIERNEY
- 2:00 pm – Whirlpool (1949), dir. Otto Preminger
- 3:45 pm – Laura (1944), dir. Otto Preminger
- 8:00 pm – The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947), dir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz
- 10:00 pm – Heaven Can Wait (1943), dir. Ernst Lubitsch
DAY 2: OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND
- 7:15 am – My Love Came Back (1940), dir. Kurt Bernhardt
- 8:45 am – It’s Love I’m After (1937), dir. Archie Mayo
- 4:00 pm – The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939), dir. Michael Curtiz
- 6:00 pm – In This Our Life (1942), dir. John Huston
DAY 3: ADOLPHE MENJOU
- 2:45 pm – Turnabout (1940), dir. Hal Roach
- 6:00 pm – A Star is Born (1937), dir. William Wellman
- 11:15 pm – Stage Door (1937), dir. Gregory LaCava
DAY 4: TERESA WRIGHT
- 2:30 pm – Mrs. Miniver (1942), dir. William Wyler
- 5:00 pm – The Best Years of Our Lives (1946), dir. William Wyler
- 10:15 pm – Shadow of a Doubt (1943), dir. Alfred Hitchcock
- 12:15 am – The Pride of the Yankees (1942), dir. Sam Wood
DAY 5: FRED ASTAIRE
- 6:00 am – Flying Down to Rio (1933), dir. Thronton Freeland
- 9:30 am – Roberta (1935), dir. William Seiter
- 3:00 pm – Swing Time (1936), dir. George Stevens
- 4:45 pm – Carefree (1938), dir. Mark Sandrich
DAY 6: MICHAEL CAINE
I’m skipping this day because I’ve never seen any of the films that are playing! I can’t recommend ’em if I haven’t watched ’em, haha. Recommend a few to me in the comments if you’re a Michael Caine fan!
You need to see some early Michael Caine films! I don’t know what they’re showing but my favourites are Get Carter, The Ipcress File, The Man Who Would Be King, Zulu, and loads more :)
They’re playing all of those except Zulu so I’ll have to tape them! Thanks for the recommendations!
Cool! The Ipcress File is like the anti-James Bond. He’s kind of a nerdy agent that spends his time doing boring shit. But it really works!