Happy New Year! We’re a few days into 2018, which means it’s time to take a look back at everything I watched last year. Can you believe this is my sixth time writing one of these recaps? It seems like just yesterday that I started the blog!
The past year has been pretty crazy for me personally, which has had an impact on my movie-watching. The viewing numbers are a bit lower for 2017, and I had to cut the blog schedule down a bit. But, I still watched plenty of great stuff and still love sharing it all here on TMP! So, let’s take a look back.
The Big Numbers
- New to me in 2017: 189 (80.4%)
- Re-watches in 2017: 46 (19.6%)
- Total number of films viewed in 2017: 235
A lower total than last year, but still pretty good, all things considered!
Methods of Viewing
- Amazon Video – 10
- Apple Music – 1
- At the cinema – 37
- FilmStruck – 9
- From Dad’s collection – 4
- From Mom’s collection – 3
- From my collection – 41
- From my sister’s collection – 4
- From the library – 6
- FXM – 1
- Hulu – 1
- Internet Archive – 1
- Laff TV Network – 2
- Lifetime Movie Network – 1
- Movies! TV Network – 5
- Netflix – 19
- Retro TV Network – 1
- TCM – 43
- Warner Archive Instant – 24
- WatchTCM – 17
- YouTube – 5
My viewings was all over the place in 2017! Lots of TCM, lots of viewing from my own collection, lots of trips to the theater. Expect to see more FilmStruck in 2018. Aside from, y’know, finally having a job, the thing I’ve been most excited about now that I’m employed has been getting my FilmStruck subscription back, haha. I’ll be buying a year-long subscription soon!
Tally by Decade
- 1910s – 2 (0.9%)
- 1920s – 4 (1.7%)
- 1930s – 32 (13.6%)
- 1940s – 39 (16.6%)
- 1950s – 38 (16.2%)
- 1960s – 13 (5.5%)
- 1970s – 13 (5.5%)
- 1980s – 6 (2.6%)
- 1990s – 6 (2.6%)
- 2000s – 19 (8.1%)
- 2010s – 63 (26.8%)
- Audrey: A Life in Pictures by Carol Krenz
- Double Indemnity by James M. Cain
- Adapted to film in 1944, starring Barbara Stanwyck
- The Furies by Niven Busch
- Adapted to film in 1950, starring Barbara Stanwyck
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos
- Adapted to film in 1953, starring Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe
- Humphrey Bogart: A Man and His Films by Paul Michael
- Majestic Hollywood: The Greatest Films of 1939 by Mark A. Vieira
- Our Town by Thornton Wilder
- Adapted to film (one of my favorites) in 1940
- Outlander series: Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, and Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
- Adapted for television beginning in 2014
- I’m going to attempt to finish reading this series in 2018!
- The Perfect Letter by Chris Harrison
- Written by the host of The Bachelor/The Bachelorette/etc.
- Sinatra: The Chairman by James Kaplan
- Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
- Adapted to film in 1999
Blog Stats & Most-Viewed
Despite the fact that I began posting less frequently (and missed several posts in addition, due to my own forgetfulness), TMP’s readers stuck with the blog. Last year was pretty stressful outside of the blog, and I was convinced I’d lose most of my readership when I stopped posting daily, but the blog has continued to grow. I’m very thankful for you! The “Best Views Ever” record was broken on January 25, 2017. There were 126,273 visits in the year, total — about 5,000 more than in 2016!
Here are all of 2017’s most-viewed posts:
- Most-viewed old movie features
- Most viewed pre-’70 reviews
- Most viewed post-’70 reviews/features
- Most-viewed TV posts
- Most-viewed bookish posts
Interesting to note: All five of the most-viewed bookish posts fall in the top ten most-viewed posts/pages of the year. If you exclude the home page from the list, six of the top ten posts are about books! I guess you all love reading as much as I do (and yes, I hope to make Book vs. Film a more frequent series in 2018).
I hope 2018 is treating you well so far. Stay tuned on Friday for a list of my favorite discoveries from 2017.