The second week of TCM’s Summer Under the Stars is upon us! I hope you all are enjoying the month of viewing so far and were able to catch some of last week’s recommendations.
Below are my picks for August 10th through 16th! As usual, all times listed below are Eastern, linked titles will take you to my previous coverage of these films, and you can see the full schedule for the month at TCM’s website.
August 10: Rita Moreno
- Singin’ in the Rain (1952), 8:00 a.m.
- West Side Story (1961), 10:00 p.m.
Feel free to give me some recommendations for this day! I haven’t seen the majority of the films that are airing.
August 11: Humphrey Bogart
- The Petrified Forest (1936), 6:00 a.m.
- In a Lonely Place (1950), 6:15 p.m.
- Dark Passage (1947), 12:15 a.m.
August 12: Ann Sothern
- The Blue Gardenia (1953), 6:30 p.m.
- Cry ‘Havoc’ (1944), 10:00 p.m.
- Nancy Goes to Rio (1950), 2:00 a.m.
If you only take one of my recommendations this week, make it Cry ‘Havoc’ — a story of thirteen women working as field nurses in the war.
August 13: Brian Donlevy
August 14: Liv Ullman
And here we have our first true blindspot for this year’s SUTS! I have no recommendations to give for Liv Ullman because I haven’t seen a single film programmed for this day! The ’70s have always been a bit of a “gap decade” for me — something I’ve been trying to remedy lately with the Criterion Channel. Please drop your Liv Ullman recommendations in the comments!
August 15: Rod Steiger
- In the Heat of the Night (1967), 8:00 p.m.
- The Big Knife (1955), 12:30 a.m.
August 16: Irene Dunne
- Love Affair (1939), 4:00 p.m.
- The Awful Truth (1937), 8:00 p.m.