August is always an odd month for me to be a TCM fan. I would love to complete some sort of Summer Under the Stars challenge where I watch a new-to-me film each day, but my annual camping trip tends to fall in the middle of August, and there isn’t TCM in the woods! The same is true this year, though as usual, I’ll be filling up my DVR and providing my weekly recommendations!
I’ll have a post up each Friday until the end of the month, sharing my picks for the upcoming week. For those who may be unfamiliar with my SUTS recommendations, I share two to three films for each day (to stop myself from picking everything) and attempt to highlight some of the less-talked-about films on the schedule.
Here are my recommendations for August 1st through 9th!
August 1: Henry Fonda
- The Mad Miss Manton (1938), 7:15 a.m.
- The Long Night (1947), 12:15 p.m.
- Mister Roberts (1955), 3:45 p.m.
August 2: Ruth Hussey
August 3: Marlon Brando
- A Streetcar Named Desire (1951), 5:45 p.m.
- On the Waterfront (1954), 8:00 p.m.
August 4: Shirley Temple
August 5: Melvyn Douglas
- Fast Company (1938), 7:30 a.m.
- Ninotchka (1939), 8:00 p.m.
- Third Finger, Left Hand (1940), 11:45 p.m.
August 6: Lena Horne
August 7: James Stewart
- No Time for Comedy (1940), 8:00 a.m.
- Anatomy of a Murder (1959), 10:00 p.m.
August 8: Ava Gardner
August 9: Red Skelton
- Neptune’s Daughter (1949), 6:15 p.m.
- Du Barry Was a Lady (1943), 2:15 a.m.
Note: All times listed here are Eastern. See the full schedule for the month at TCM’s website.
We’re already two days into SUTS, so you’ll have to catch most of my recommendations for August 1st and 2nd on WatchTCM or elsewhere — but they’re still great films you should definitely carve out time to watch! Which films are you most looking forward to in the upcoming week?