One of TCM’s most wonderful annual features is upon us, again: Summer Under the Stars, which began this morning! With a different star celebrated on TCM each day in August, blocking off entire 24-hour blocks to binge the films of our favorites is always tempting. It isn’t always realistic, however, so I’m carrying on TMP’s tradition of sharing recommendations for each day of SUTS!
This year I’m offering up two or three recommendations from each day, giving you an idea of the films I’d recommend recording or prioritizing, if you haven’t already seen them. I’ve also linked all of the titles to Letterboxd, where you can find synopses, reviews, and streaming information.
I’m always looking for films to discover, too, so feel free to leave your own picks in the comments!
August 1: Frank Sinatra
- 8:00 pm – The Man with the Golden Arm (1956)
- 12:45 am – Suddenly (1954)
- 4:30 am – Step Lively (1944)
August 2: Myrna Loy
- 3:00 pm – Third Finger, Left Hand (1940)
- 4:45 pm – Wife vs. Secretary (1936)
- 10:00 pm – I Love You Again (1940)
August 3: Lionel Atwill
August 4: Clint Eastwood
August 5: Katharine Hepburn
August 6: Audrey Totter
- 8:00 am – The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
- 6:30 pm – The Set-Up (1949)
- 12:00 am – Lady in the Lake (1947)
August 7: Harold Lloyd
August 8: Jeanette MacDonald